1.26.2011

last minute decision....

Well, I decided to burn the midnight oil this evening, er, morning. After recently stumbling upon the fantabulous blog, Our Humble A{Bow}ed, and spying on their dining room, I knew I had to have it. I decided to scale back on the details and make it fit with our house. Check it out! I call it: Fauxscotting!

Disclaimer: I apologize in advance for the iPhone photo quality. My camera card is in my desk at work (picture me making a sad face here). I'll update the after photos with "real photos" later.







If you can read that, you would know that I only spent $44.10 and that even included an extra tube of paintable caulk. Are you kidding me? No, I'm not kidding me.


My original idea was to sit some neutral plates on the ledge, but I got so anxious I hung this mirror...


...annnnd immediately regretted it. I'm so mad at myself for making that hole.

There is one final touch that I will add tomorrow. I'm adding a simple piece of trim to the bottom of each horizontal piece. This will cover my mistakes perfect cuts and look pretty. I angled the bottom of the vertical slats so they would work with the current baseboard.

Quick recap:



My friend Amy recently introduced me to s4s after she used it on a project of her own. I'm in love. I bought three pieces of the smaller stuff and one piece of the big, chunky stuff. I used liquid nails and less than two dozen finish nails. The bottom four vertical slats are about 3.5 feet long. The top vertical slats are 2 feet long.



This project cost $44 and took 5 hours. Can't beat it. It changed my life.



linking up to:




http://www.somewhatsimple.com/
http://lifeaslori.blogspot.com/
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
http://www.yesterdayontuesday.typepad.com/
http://lbratina.blogspot.com/
http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/


thegirlcreativepartyblog.blogspot.com
thediyshowoff.blogspot.com
http://www.fingerprintsonthefridge.com/2011/01/feature-yourself-friday_27.html
betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com
takeitfrom-me.blogspot.com
http://www.decorchick.com/molding/molding-link-party/

22 comments:

  1. gorgeous! i love wainscoting, i just did it myself too, be on the lookout for my tutorial. i did more than one wall so mine wasnt $44 :( haha still cheaper than buying the real stuff though :D

    -Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a difference. It is so fun to be able to fix up your home and for such very little money. I have really been wanting to do this in the kids bathroom. This may just be the nudge I need to get it done. Thanks for the inspiration! Found you through Welcome Wednesdays bloghop and became a new follower. I would love it if you would follow back!
    creativesouthernhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI!

    I'm a hopping in from Wednesdays Blog Hops! :)

    Come and visit me
    ~Veronica
    from Reviews & Giveaways by TheChickenista

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your two level version of this. I hope to do this in our entry some day and will definitely keep this post as a go-to. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Is it really that simple? Because the result is fantastic! I'd love to try this. Makes a great focal wall.

    Please join us this weekend at Passion for Paint and link up your project! Links open Friday night @ 6 pm PST.


    http://MuralMaker1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice! I wish I had a wall long enough to try this! Great job.
    Susan
    myhomeroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! Well worth it!

    <3, New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing! What's S4S? I can't really tell from the picture. I want to do this so bad in our house, but I'm still trying to convince the hubby is would be a worthwhile project! This might help. Great job.
    I hope you can join my link party today! All participants are eligible to win #130 to CSN stores.com! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice! And $44? Wow! I'm going to have to check out the S4S!! Visiting from Fingerprints on the Fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ummm, WOW! I can't believe how cheaply you did this! I want to try a similar project, but I always feel like it's going to be more than I can do, thank for making me feel like it's doable! I found you at fingerprints on the fridge. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great transformation! I plan to do this in the dining room this summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love it! Now you've got me thinking where I do this in my house;o) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great architectural detail. I love it. Coming from BNOP.

    Btw, do you want to gain more blog followers? Then come on and join my "Swap Followings" Linky Party. This is an excellent opportunity for every blogger to meet other bloggers, follow them, and be followed in return. How does this work? Just simply "swap your following" which goes like this, "I follow your blog so please follow mine." All you have to do is create a post about the party, include the party button, follow 2 or more bloggers then leave them comments so they can follow you back.

    If you think this is a match for your interests (and I hope it is), then please click http://www.homemakeronadime.com/p/policies.html so you can read how it works and the details about the party. Don’t forget to join us on Monday at 5 pm, PST.

    Bring your best virtual smile, be prepared to meet great bloggers, and see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there~ Looks fantastic- I love how that came out and you did a great job on it! Thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! That did make a HUGE difference! I want to to this!Thanks for linking up to DotDotDot, it totally made my day!! I will be featuring this! Thanks for sharing!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I love it! Little things can make such a big difference! Would love for you to come and visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome. I don't know what s4s is, but I sure want to know. I'd love to do this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's gorgeous, what an impact! I'm your newest follower, I hope you'll come to my blog and check mine out and maybe return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a difference, Tiffany! I love detailed trim, and yours makes quite a statement. Beefing up or replacing trim is usually one of the first projects in any new home for me. ;)

    Thanks for joining the party again. Hope you'll link up each week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete