1.29.2011

It's Electric..

I had a little fun this morning. I know I'm not the only one who has tan/bisque colored outlets and light switches. So if you're cheap like me, pay attention. Recently when we had a painter come and do our foyer, we had a serious conversation about my outlets and switches that didnt match. So what did I do? I did exactly what he said.....minus the cardboard safety net that I planned on taping to the wall.

Check it out:

This is what I started with, beige outlets and a can of rustoleum gloss protective enamel in white. Sooo it's not like I used a cheapy can of spray paint from the dollar store. Hopefully this stuff will hold up. If I have to do it yearly, I'm okay with that. I'm fully prepared for the consequences....if electric shock is not one of them. Been there. Done that.

After two quick bursts on each outlet, this is what I ended up with.



Looks good to me. Now I just have to splurge while I'm grocery shopping today and pick up new .39 cent covers in a crisp white. Unless I want to go fancy, in which case, I'll stop by Lowe's.

As I mentioned, I also did a light switch that was in the room.



Regretfully, I took this picture after it was already painted. I wanted to show off the fancy template I made for this switch since it was on a wall of woodlawn colonial gray. Annnd again:

Last night I sprayed the top of the switch and then first thing this morning I flipped it and did the bottom.

So what do you guys think? I'm sure there are some people out there shaking their pointer fingers at me. I'm happy with the result. I'll let you know in a day or two if my outlets still work. Ha!

Anyone doing and DIY projects this weekend? I'd <3 to hear about it!

Oh, I almost forgot. Everyone loves a sidy-by-side comparison.....

I'm partying here:



Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

7 comments:

  1. When we bought our current home we had those too so while we were painting (before we moved in) my hubby went through and changed out EVERY one of them with white. It cost a bit more than I had anticipated it would but it makes such a HUGE difference! So glad you found a much cheaper way to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMg, just found this thru the link party! I had no idea you could do this! I just got a home depot gift card from mileage redemption and bought new covers, but you can still see the faded switches and actual outlets! I'm gonna try this one soon! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha...how funny to see this. I've been spray painting plugs and switches for years! Well, I've stopped now-there all done! But, it was my little secret. So cheap,and no crazy electricity to worry about. I used to paint the plates too but they're so cheap I buy them. As a Realtor, I tell my clients to paint their plugs and switches and swaaped out the plates. They look at me like I'm craaazzzyyy. People, they gotta be white!!! I'm now following you. Karen @ Joy, Junk and Juxtaposition

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there- I have painted switches and outlets too- drives me crazy when they are a different color! Yours came out looking great- thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever!! We spray paint everything else-why not those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I NEVER thought to do this. Pretty clever!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. REALLY?! I had no idea that you could do this! My friend just had all of her outlet things replaced..invloving an electrician and spent a fortune! I will have to tell her what you did, she will die since she just spent a ton of $$$$ and could have spent $5!
    Genius!

    ReplyDelete